A migration agent who is registered with OMARA and a Lawyer who is admitted to their State and Territory are professionals who can help you with your immigration matters.


A registered migration agent is required to be registered with OMARA to give immigration assistance.
A lawyer must be admitted to the court in their State and Territory and obtain practising certificate as a Solicitor or Barrister.


Both lawyers and registered migration agents are qualified to perform immigration work and lodge visa applications and appeals to Administrative Appeals Tribunals (AAT). However, only lawyers can take the matter to the Federal Courts. The Hierarchy of the appeals for immigration is as such that if a visa is refused or cancelled, you need to first appeal to AAT and if the appeal is not successful you can take the matter to federal courts with the help of a lawyer.