The processing time of each visa will be updated monthly on the Department website. There are two processing times which is displayed and this represents how long it is taking to finalise 75 and 90 per cent of applications submitted globally.
Processing times are impacted each month by changes in application volumes, seasonal peaks, complex cases, and incomplete applications. Processing times include applications lodged online and by paper.
Circumstances that affect processing times
The Department assesses applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:
- whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
- how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
- for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration programme
- for citizenship applications, the time taken to attend a Citizenship Ceremony or receive a Citizenship Certificate.
How to view processing times
You can view current processing times on the page for specific visa subclasses or citizenship types. You should check regularly to ensure you remain aware of the current processing times for your visa or citizenship as these may change over time.
In order to find out your visa processing time, please click here.